Thursday, October 01, 2009

The Choice is Yours, Obviously

I am not one to talk in percentages and scales when it comes to political dialogue. Or pull out numerous graphs and charts to try and prove a point. Things are, for the most part, fairly obvious to see. I mean it doesn't take a scientist, mathematician or archeologist to discover things that are floating on the surface all around us everyday.

When President Obama was elected last November, there was an overwhelming sense of pride, hope and inspiration that resonated throughout the Country. At least that is how I saw it and felt it. Yes I knew that once things settled down and the President got down to business running the country those "new found messiah" emotions would diminish and the world would see Mr. Obama for what he is, a man. I voted for Barrack Obama and was very proud to do so, not because I saw him as someone who was bigger than life, nor did I think he would walk upon the land with staff in hand and part the mighty Mississippi river. I did vote for him because I saw an intelligence that had been lacking in the oval office for some time. I selected him because I saw a man who cared about his Country and the citizens that live within it. There was compassion in his eyes, intellect in his voice and hope for a better world in his heart. A man, and to me he was and is the obvious choice.

We should also face facts that there will always be those special interest groups that push the propaganda wagon up and down the streets trying to get more people to hop on board. They try to create chaos and disorder to distract from the obvious just so they can push their own agendas. It is just hard for me to believe that so many people fall victim to the unscrupulous tactics of these greedy, low-life, uncaring corporations that seem to have the government (and sometimes the people) in the palm of their hands. Don't get me wrong, I completely understand that this Country was founded on the principles of Capitalism and free market business models. There will have to be winners and losers. But when those same companies, be them Big Oil, Pharmaceutical, Financial or Developmental Firms, so willfully abandon their very own compatriots all for the sake of money and power. Then something drastically needs to change before it's too late. That to me is also obvious.

Ruthlessness has taken hold. I never thought I would see in my lifetime a total disregard towards our fellow man. The blatant lack of morality, compassion and humanity, virtues that once made this Country so great, have all but been replaced by hate, violence, greed and enviousness. We want what others have. We hate others for having what we don't. We do what ever it takes to get what we want and we willingly hurt others physically and mentally because of our own desires. Somewhere along the road of human civility we took a wrong turn and are now headed for oblivion. It seems that even when some who try to do the right thing, it is scrutinized to no end. Truths get twisted and manipulated until no one knows exactly what the truth is anymore. Can that really happen? Can history literally be altered and rewritten to suite the desires of those with power? Sadly I believe it is happening everyday. Isn't it obvious?

So what are we supposed to believe? Who are we supposed to trust? I like to think that my heart holds the answers for me. It has never pushed me in the wrong direction before and I don't believe it ever will. "Violence is never the answer, hate breeds more hate, be thankful for what you have and it's always better to give than to receive" are just a few of the things my heart tells me. They are virtues that I live by. Rest assured that the correct choices you make in life will come from a place deep down inside you, a feeling, an emotional reaction an enlightened view. It will almost make the decisions for you. And when people come to you and ask why you did what you did, said what you said or believed what you believed. You can look them in the eye and say, "cause it was the right thing".
Isn't it obvious?

No comments: